Friday, October 26, 2012

Finding a style

I'm sure people look at my work and think "oh, I can see Tamara Laporte or Suzi Blu in that..." and the truth is, you can. That's because I took classes from both Tam and from Suzi. I loved them, they both opened up my eyes to what I COULD do and set my muse free to start creating my own BHGs (Big headed girls). But have I found my own style?

In some ways, I have. I don't use the techniques of either Tam or Suzi religiously, rather I do a combination of both with a bit of something of my own. I don't use just pencil, just water color. You might find some marker in my work, some acrylic paint, some ink, some charcoal....it depends on what I grab and how I'm liking the piece. I'm noticing a "look" that is mine also, a gesturing, a look to the eyes, a shape of the mouth...a way of laying out back grounds.

It's hard to admire artists so much and yet not look like them. It's hard to find a place that is your own when your inspiration and technique were learned from others. I'm hoping that I'm starting to develop my own "groove" and my own niche. There are many other classes that I would LOVE to take...Jane Davenport for instance. But for now, I'm trying to work on my own "voice", seeing if I can get it to speak louder and bury the layers of the "learned" beneath it.


No comments:

Post a Comment